[openbeos] Re: [OT] Installing BeOS in vmware

  • From: Paolo Pisati <paolo.pisati@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:42:35 +0200

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 10:48:56AM +0200, Paolo Pisati wrote:
> another idea i had was to try with thomas's ide replacement driver
> to see if it helps with vmware virtual cdrom, but i THINK
> the floppy img is for r5 only and it won't work with dano...
> thomas? can you comment on it?

ok, i answer to myself:

due to being unable to pass the boot screen, i decided to try with
my old trusty R5-Pro, so i put the cd in my dvd drive and let vmware
boot straight from it.
After i disabled everything from the boot menu i finally
passed the boot screen and got to the installer, even without the
ide replacement floppy.
So, in the end, it seems the problem lays somewhere between
how vmware handle the cdrom image and normal beos boot code.
IMHO it's a vmware issue, cause when you select
to use an iso image as a normal cd drive the emulator should
completely fake a real cd drive and let the os do whatever it
wants with it.

So now, the next problem is to burn dano iso and try with
it, but if a remember correctly there wer some problems trying to
burn a beos iso...
We will see...

anyway, thank you.
--