[openbeos] Re: OBOS vs distro

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:05:52 +0200 (MEST)

I think we should however publish a list of the lowest common denominator,
the minimum distros are required to have.
This list could be :
- native tools from OBOS,
- newest version of the GNU and BSD tools that were in R5,
- some others we should list and stick to.
 (I'd suggest hey, ProcessController (*g*, which licence is this one ?),
... Something I wouldn't put in this list, as an example: mozilla, even if it's
really nice, it doesn't help keeping the size of the distrib small, so it
would hammer someone who wants to make a fit-in-a-zip distro, like what
ZipSlack is to Linux)

This list should be used as the check list for shell-script makers (as I am),
to be sure their script will work anywhere without the need to do things
like:

# check for awk (silly example)
AWK="$(query name=awk)"
if [ -z "$AWK" -o ! -x "$AWK" ]; then
# really bad :-(
echo "Can't find awk !!!"
exit 1
fi

When we agree on this list (suggestions of BU are welcome), let's let BU
take care of building this minimal distro, and focus ourselves only on the
system and default native apps.