[openbeos] Re: OBOS vs distro

  • From: "Donovan Schulteis" <deej@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 04:28:49 -0400

> I think we should however publish a list of the lowest common
> denominator, the minimum distros are required to have.
> This list could be :
> - native tools from OBOS,
> - newest version of the GNU and BSD tools that were in R5,
> - some others we should list and stick to.
>  (I'd suggest hey, ProcessController (*g*, which licence is this
> one ?), ... Something I wouldn't put in this list, as an example:
> mozilla, even if it's really nice, it doesn't help keeping the
> size of the distrib small, so it would hammer someone who wants to
> make a fit-in-a-zip distro, like what ZipSlack is to Linux)
[..]
> When we agree on this list (suggestions of BU are welcome), let's
> let BU take care of building this minimal distro, and focus
> ourselves only on the system and default native apps.

Francois,

BU has been in discussion about just such a list, and gathering
information in order to contact necessary developers about inclusion on
both a minimal "reference distribution", and a distribution that
includes more than just the reference platform.

However, there's only so much time in the day of the _VERY_FEW_ of us
that are doing things for BU, so a formal list has not yet been formed -
 your help, any and everyone's help, in forming this list is not only
requested, but needed to ensure that the "reference platform" is what
the developers and users of OBOS believe it should be.

As you said, the list should be determined by the OBOS developers, but
then "upheld" (of sorts) by BU.  This is the case for many of BU's
current initiatives.

More to come on this in the very near future.

But anyone that wants to actively work on this (or any other part) of
BU's efforts, please, email me - off list, of course.  ;)

Deej