[haiku] Nonstandard CSI code?

  • From: pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Haiku <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:05:38 -0700

Hi,
I'm wondering why Haiku seems to use Control Sequence Introducer characters
that I can't find (currently) used by any other system.  I was trying to
use a Perl app, suggested to me by someone, that expects arrow-key commands
in the usual form "<esc>[A", or whatever.  It doesn't work, because it turns
out the sequence provided by Haiku is "<esc>OA"!

(A simple verification is to use "od -c", type some arrow keys (then
<enter> and ^D) and see what's generated.  Even BeOS produces the expected
"[" rather than "O".)

Wikipedia makes no mention of any alternative sequence like that.

Furthermore, I can't figure out where the sequence is actually being
generated from the B_UP_ARROW, etc., codes from the keymap.  I assumed
that /etc/termcap was in control, but printenv tells me that TERM=xterm,
and termcap has that aliased to 'xterm-new'.  Looking at that section,
it is indeed "ku=\EOA", but editing those values to the standard doesn't
seem to affect anything!  Nor does setting TERM=ansi, which seems to
still have the standard codes.

What's going on?

        -- Pete --