[openbeos] Re: New PowerDeveloper developer programme!

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 18:30:03 +0100 (MET)

"Niklas Nisbeth" <noisetonepause@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, they are pretty much the same hardware. You can already boot
> > Haiku on your Mac, but at some point you'll get into KDL because
> > the
> > kernel can't access the boot disk yet.
> I see. But this will change, I hope? I don't currently have a Linux
> environment to build Haiku on myself (and I'm not sure I want to try
> it
> on my P3 700 BeOS laptop), but I'd love to help as much as I can
> (probably not much!).

I often compile my stuff on a 600 MHz Pentium-M (on battery) - it just
depends how fast your hard drive is, I'd guess :-)
Anyway, sure it will change - why would we have started the port if we
didn't intend to finish it one day? :-)

> Eek. Do you know if this is being worked on? Genesi seem to advertise
> the OpenFirmware pretty heavily... and I've always thought of it as
> Good Tech... this is a bit of a shock, actually. I was sorta saving
> up
> for an ODW..

The ODW is still a nice machine - and an OS loader doesn't have to use
the OpenFirmware as much as the Haiku loader currently does; we'll find
our way around it, I'm sure.
OpenFirmware itself is nice - just the implementation found in the
Pegasos is bad; but that doesn't have any consequence for you if you
don't program on that level, which you will only very rarely do (read:
never :-)). It's not that the machine would run worse because of it,
it's just not as much fun to write a boot loader for it, or expect to
use OpenFirmware services (like its device drivers) when the kernel is
already running.

Bye,
   Axel.