[openbeos] Re: Making BeOS accessible to Windows

  • From: "Jim Mussared" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 00:53:30 -0500 (EST)

>How hard would it be to make a BeOS NTFS driver that used NTFS
>attributes[1], and the NTFS indexing stuff?
>
>Then just put anything you have to share between the two on an NTFS
drive.

>mike
>
>[1] I am assuming that NTFS supports free-form attributes.

As far as i know - it doesnt.

*But* something interesting about NTFS, is that you can have more than
one entry in the filesystem for the same filename. All you do is name
the second entry as filename:1 filename:2 (it may start at zero, but i
dont remember if zero if the actual original file)

Windows wont report the additional "files" in the filesize of the file,
and they wont show up in explorer - you have to know they're there.

Maybe this would be a good way for a BeOS file system driver to store
the metadata/beos-attributes as its almost 100% invisible when you're
viewing the filesystem in windows?

Just an idea - but this is something ive only heard about - never
actually tried it myself.
-jim