[haiku] Re: Mailing lists and etiquette

  • From: Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:03:34 +0100

2009/11/5 Charlie Clark <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Am 05.11.2009, 01:00 Uhr, schrieb Nicholas Blachford <
> nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> I'd delete the non-active lists and just let everything end up on the main
>> lists (i.e. what's happening now). If people aren't interested in particular
>> threads they don't have to read them.
>>

> I'd agree with Jorge on this - if people think it's okay to talk about
> anything and everything on a list then they will do so and you quickly get a
> lot of noise (...) but there shouldn't be a problem if someone points out
> that something has gone way off-topic.

I agree with Nicholas that the main list can pretty much be the catch-all
list for any topic that has not been specifically placed elsewhere (e.g.,
developer discussion, or internal Haiku, Inc. discussions), but the problem
that then arises is when something is off-topic. It would mean any
development-related question is off-topic.

I disagree with the idea to just close off any non-active list. First, there
should be a specific question asked whether there are reasons to keep it
alive, even if it indeed has been inactive for years. I have just started a
new discussion on the OBOS-CDT list, since I do see great importance in
reviving it. You are welcome to join in (get up to speed by reading the
archived emails here:
//www.freelists.org/archive/openbeos-cdt/11-2009). Just join the
CDT list and post there, because responding here would
be... off-topic :-P

Eddy