[haiku] Re: MSI Wind U100 or Dell Mini 10v?

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko+haiku@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 10:46:48 -0400

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Joseph Prostko wrote:
>>
>> I own a U100 as well.  I upgraded the hard drive to a 320 GB drive
>> (yanked out of a WD My Passport drive, which I then swapped the Wind's
>> 80 GB drive into),

> I only see 160 GB models here, hope that's the only difference.

Well, I got my Wind over a year ago around the middle of August, so
the only option way back then was an 80 GB Western Digital Scorpio
drive.

>> the RAM to 2 GB,
>
> Did you mail MSI for the warranty? I read you have to before breaking the
> warranty seals.

I actually bought the Wind from Q2 Designs ( http://q2designs.com/ ),
and they supposedly had something worked out with MSI where they could
add on the 6 cell battery and 2 GB of RAM while keeping the warranty
intact.  That said, I kind of voided the warranty in a hurry by
swapping out the hard drive and wi-fi card upon arrival.

>> and I swapped out the mini PCI-X
>> wireless card for a Gigabyte WI06N A/B/G/N card. I did that since my
>> initial goal was to turn the computer into a Hackintosh machine.   The
>> card works great for that purpose and indeed shows up as a native
>> Airport wireles card in OS X.
>
> I read that the native card works straight in OSX.

I admit I haven't been keeping up with the advances with the Wind, but
I think that happened in December of last year, which was a couple
months after I had already swapped out the wi-fi card.  Also, I think
that only applies to Winds that have the Ralink card in them.  I think
the Advent 4211 and Medion Akoya rebranded Winds had those from the
get-go, but I believe my Wind came with a Realtek 8187SE if I recall
correctly.  I would check, but I'm not at home at the moment and think
I put that card in storage somewhere.  So yeah, if you buy one with an
Ralink card, you should be fine.  There may have been other advances
in the past year, but I haven't paid a ton of attention, honestly.

>> The wireless in Haiku isn't working on
>> the card yet (even though it is Atheros-based), but it should once the
>> PCI-X issues in Haiku get resolved.
>
> Wifi is a nice addition, but I don't really need it.

For the record, as of last night with r284 of the Haiku wi-fi work
Colin is doing, I now have wireless working in Haiku with my Gigabyte
wireless card!

>> Everything else said above by others is accurate as far as I can tell.
>>  I did play with the Bluetooth some time ago and the Haiku Bluetooth
>> stack picks it up and everything.  I didn't really try to do anything
>> productive with it though, other than to see if it could see my cell
>> phone (which it could).
>
> Bluetooth is more interesting to me, I use a Bluetooth mouse wiht my
> MacBook, and it's great to send and receive files from the phone.
>
> Are Bluetooth mice supported in Haiku?

I have no idea at the moment, although admit that I had plans at one
point to get a wireless mouse/keyboard combo at one point.  Perhaps
somebody else can chime in here.

>> Oh yeah, and by the way, if you do decide you want pseudo-wireless, I
>> would recommend picking up the Asus WL-330gE USB-powered wireless
>> bridge/router.  It can be kind of cumbersome to carry around, but if
>> you have the system sitting on a coffee table or the like most of the
>> time, it works just fine.
>
> Nice toy, but the system is going to sit on my lap most of the time during
> my home -> office train rides :-)
> At home, I always have a cable ready. At office, my company prohibits to
> connect anything but their computers to the LAN without approval of the
> network admin, and explicitly bans APs. And anyway I am not going to use it
> in any of these places.

Hey, that's cool.  I have used the Asus adapter and kind of just let
in dangle around while I had it with me.  It looks a bit ridiculous,
but it works!  I suppose I don't need it now that wi-fi is working for
me in Haiku though.  I guess I can turn it into a repeater or an AP
now.  :)