[openbeos] Re: Is it possible to boot Haiku from a USB key?

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 12:40:30 +0200 CEST

"Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As for adding them in the default HaikuImage. The only thing I could
> see is that it causes the USB stack to be loaded earlier. This
> shouldn't really matter though. It might delay the boot process if
> the
> stack isn't kept loaded, but that would be a bug that has to be fixed
> then anyway. Through the presence of usb_disk we currently load the
> USB
> stack during boot anyway. So if we want the images to be USB bootable
> by default we can certainly just add these targets.

I would actually rather change the boot loader in this regard a bit,
and (if possible) make it realize it has been booted from USB (this
should be easily possible with BIOS conforming to some standards), and
then automatically boot the USB drivers.
Of course, this might work as reliable as to always put them in, which
we probably should do for now before we experiment with a different
approach.

Bye,
   Axel.