[openbeos] Re: Is it possible to boot Haiku from a USB key?

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 00:04:01 +0200

Hi there

> > I assume just adding a line to the UserBuildConfig would be
> > sufficient as
> > well (rather than hacking at HaikuImage):

> > usb_disk ;
>
> Is there a disadvantage for doing this as the "official default" in
> HaikuImage?

The approach with UserBuildConfig does not work. I think it is because
the UserBuildConfig is included before some other necessary stuff
happens with the targets (they need to be added to the "container"
first AFAIR). Ingo would know the details I guess.

As for adding them in the default HaikuImage. The only thing I could
see is that it causes the USB stack to be loaded earlier. This
shouldn't really matter though. It might delay the boot process if the
stack isn't kept loaded, but that would be a bug that has to be fixed
then anyway. Through the presence of usb_disk we currently load the USB
stack during boot anyway. So if we want the images to be USB bootable
by default we can certainly just add these targets.

Regards
Michael