[openbeos] Introduction

  • From: "Cooper, Greg" <greg_cooper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:03:26 -0700

    I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.  My name is Gregory Cooper
and I live in Portland Oregon, US.

    A friend of mine introduced me to the whole Haiku effort and I'm completely
fascinated.  EVERYTHING about it just makes sense and smells of success, from a
technical point of view to the licensing.  I have a fairly extensive software
development background and do most of my work at the application level.

While I do enjoy writing application-level software I have done some work in
the past dealing with the nitty-gritty of machine internals (but it's been a
while and it was on an Amiga).

Although I do really want to get in and write applications for Haiku/Beos, I
feel somewhat compelled to offer a helping hand to the Haiku development effort
itself.   After all, if there is no Haiku then application level software isn't
of much use!

I am very aware of how difficult an open-source project can be and I want to be
a useful contributor rather than a drain.  Currently, I am just trying to come
up to speed with the state of the software, the current development processes,
and the community.

I am eager to become a participant in this wonderful effort and am looking
forward to digging in further.  Until I have a better idea about what's going
on I am hesitant to commit to a piece of the project.  The last thing a project
like this needs are individuals who commit to things they can't deliver (ahh
the free-project dilemma).

- Out of curiosity, how "up-to-date" are the status graphs on the Haiku
web-page to what's in CVS?

Regards,
  Gregory