[openbeos] Re: Icons, summery of past discussions

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:21:39 +0100

On 2006-11-06 at 01:57:40 [+0100], Mat Hounsell <mat_geek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I showed the winning set to an ex-beos user and he said it was a good
> choice.
>
> I then showed him the new Vista glass icons and he said "Arrgh, my eyes!"

To tell you the truth, I completely fail to understand what Microsoft is
doing with the icons! *Way* too much detail, who is ever looking at 256x256
icons?! The application icons are horribly detailed, at reasonable size, a
blurry blob remains. Recently, I learned that the ICO format stores icons
at different sizes, only in Vista, support for a compressed format was
added, now you can use PNGs inside the ICO file. Appearently, such an icon
can take up to 80 KB of storage on average if it supports all the sizes.
That is more than 100 times the space of our average vector icon. IMHO, an
icon format should be a special icon format, not even PNG. If you assume
certain facts about the icon, you can save a lot of space, instead of
having these facts encoded in your format the same for every icon. And
icons should look cool at the sizes they are actually used with, who cares
if they look stunning at 128x128.

> I like the icons; keep them elegant.

Thanks!

Best regards,