[haiku] Re: Icon proposal

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:08:27 +0100

Jorge G. Mare/aka Koki wrote:
And I was about to forget about toolbar icons; there are any
guidelines about them?
There are no separate guidelines yet. I've been trying to procude 3D toolbar icons so far, but from feedback, it looks people like the flat toolbar icons better, and they do seem to be more flexible to handle.

The 3Dish icons on the desktop look really nice, but for some reason they look
out of place when used on a toolbar, as if they don't belong; can't explain the
reason, that the perception that I have.

Same here, i'd think that on a toolbar, they tend to represent actions/verbs instead of objects, thus more similar to flat text words or glyphs. Though i'm not sure we can come up with or even need a strict rule for that. There's a similar question about deskbar replicants (that i stumbled upon when making a sound volume icon replacement a few months ago). I'd tend towards flat here too. The reason would be to stay graphically consistent with replicants like ProcessController that can't really be 3d and for size/readability questions too.

Regards,
Alex