[openbeos] Re: [Haiku-commits] r17681 - in haiku/trunk/src/apps: . calculator

  • From: "André Braga" <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:50:11 -0300

On 6/1/06, Waldemar Kornewald <wkornew@xxxxxxx> wrote:

How difficult would it be to put a GUI around some command-line app,
library, or
stripped-down math suite (SciLab, Maxima, Octave, sorry, I don't know
something
*small* :)).

POSIX P1003.2/D11's bc. The GNU implementation is pretty slick, and I don't think the GPL would be an issue there. And there's a X11 GUI for it: http://x-bc.sourceforge.net/

I'm sure we can adapt it for our needs. Or even rewrite the UI code
from scratch to serve the rest of the OS' elegance ;)

But having bc as a backend is probably a good idea. 65k, links to
curses, readline and libc. So it's a tad larger than 65k, but it's
definitely some order of magnitudes smaller than a math suite :)