[openbeos] Re: [Haiku-commits] r17681 - in haiku/trunk/src/apps: . calculator

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-commits@xxxxxxxxxx, openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 16:21:03 +0200

Hi,

cross posting to openbeos list...

On 2006-06-01 at 12:31:32 [+0200], DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > darkwyrm at BerliOS <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Log:
> > > Initial checkin with some style cleanups from original sources
> >
> > Is that a new calculator?
> > I would very much like to have a calculator in our repository (and on
> > the image), but couldn't it be one that is a bit nicer? Despite the
> > look, it pretty much simulates a boring and cheap actual calculator -
> >
> > if we had a touch screen only, this would probably be okay, and maybe
> > it's just me, but I never liked those misuses of a computer
> > interface.
> Nah - it's just an import of the Calc sources. XCalc is nicer, but it's
> GPL and I can't get in contact with the original author. Calc doesn't
> look the prettiest, but I intend to fix that. There are some font
> sensitivity issues and such and I really would like to have some more
> functions to make it more similar to the one in Windows, which despite
> being in Windows, is pretty nice.

IMHO, the best calculator ever for BeOS is DeskCalc
<http://www.bebits.com/app/76>. It works fine in Haiku since I fixed that
BView archiving stuff. Features that I love:

* full keyboardability
* option to turn of "auto-numlock" (for users without a number key block)
* usable as replicant
* drag&drop of text in calculator
* doesn't force you to calculate result before entering the next operation
(so you can type 5+2+3*20 before hitting enter)
* resizable/font-sensitive interface

The only thing I miss:
* more advanced functions, which I would like to get in "hidden" form. Ie,
no "sin" button in the interface, but the ability to type "sin()" into the
text view

On the BeBits page (links are dead) it looks like the source was published,
but I don't have it anywhere. Maybe someone still has that archive?

Best regards,
-Stephan