[haiku] Re: Haiku on a WebDT 366

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 21:04:28 -0800

> Hey folks,
>
> Searched the mail archives and forums, but couldn't find an answer so I'm
> asking here.  Are any plans in the pipeline for support of DT Research
> devices - specifically, the WebDT 366 (http://bit.ly/6LqVeB)? I've got Alpha
> 1 running on mine right now, and it does quite well compared to the other
> OSes I've had success with (XP Embedded and Puppy Linux), particularly in
> the area of UI responsiveness.

Looks to be an AMD Geode based device, CPU should be named properly as
I recall that was added awhile back when I got an AMD Geode up and
running, booting off an IDE connected Compact Flash card.  Amazing to
see Haiku running on a board with no fan or hard drive noises.

> Binary compatibility with R5 apps has also been good, and apart from a few
> known bugs it looks like there's a lot of potential for Haiku on this
> platform.  Anyone who has ever fooled with one of these knows what a pain it
> is to get a fully-functional OS on them, so it was a pleasant surprise to
> see how well Haiku performed at this early stage.
>
> Things currently not working include: WiFi (Cisco Aironet 350; PCMCIA),
> Bluetooth, Compact Flash, audio, and the touchscreen (Penmount).  Note that
> I'm not listing these to knock the progress that has been made or to demand
> fixes; like I said, I'm impressed, and from browsing Trac it's clear that a
> lot of this falls under the category of known issues rather than anything
> platform-specific.

There was an attempt to get the Geode audio working and there's even a
build option to include it but we never did get it actually working.
This isn't included on the alpha, you'd have to build it and enable
the geode audio, but it probably won't work (yet).

> In any event, is there anyone else out there working on improving hardware
> support for this device - or would it be useful to the project to make mine
> available for testing on this platform?

Check trac tickets 2132 and 2131, perhaps add the output of listdev on
your to the tickets and perhaps try some of the suggestions listed in
the tickets, perhaps that will spark some new developement.
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2131
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2132

  I'm hopefully going to be set up
> with svn later tonight (there are Macports issues to resolve first), so will
> be in a position to give some assistance.

MacPorts... hmm have you checked out at HaikuPorts yet?
http://ports.haiku-files.org/
We could always use a few more porters ;)

> There's something I find perversely amusing about the idea of running Haiku
> on a DT Research device, even if it is a descendant of the 300 ;)
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Cameron.

-scottmc