[openbeos] Haiku @ Ohio LinuxFest 2008

  • From: "Jorge Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 10:25:55 -0700

Howdy,

I am starting this new topic from the WalterCon thread, in the hope
that it may help connect people interested in making a Haiku presence
at Ohio LinuxFest happen.

>>> So hopefully there will still be a
>>> Haiku presence at the Ohio Linux Fest.  Are there still Haiku
>>> devs/users/fans in the midwest who are still going to make the trip?
>>> Maybe you can meet up and carpool...

> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 7:47 AM, DarkWyrm <darkwyrm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'm still planning on going if work allows.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 8:02 AM, Jerry Walraven
<jerry.walraven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Longtime lurker here. I live just north of Columbus, OH and was
> planning on attending the Ohio Linux Fest. If Haiku is going to have a
> booth at the show I would be happy to work the booth.
>
> I can't bring much technical knowledge but I can pack some enthusiasm,
> a machine that runs Haiku and possibly a projector.

Enthusiasm is good and definitely necessary. :) On the technical side,
if Bryan, Ryan and DarkWyrm were to be able to attend, you guys should
be in a very good position to cater to the technically-inclined
visitors without much problems.

*** Haiku booth ***
I applied for a Haiku booth at OLF long ago and last month was assured
that we would get a spot on the .Org area; so the booth is available.

*** Haiku talks ***
There are also two Haiku related talk applications that were submitted
to OLF. One is about porting WebKit to Haiku, by Ryan Leavengood, and
the other by Bryan Varner (don't remember the exact topic). Approval
for these talks are still pending, and I believe we should hear from
OLF around the end of this month.

*** Literature and other material ***
For marketing material, we can provide support in the form of fliers
to hand out (we have many left from LinuxWorld), and perhaps even the
booth sign(s) that we used at LinuxWorld. If alpha 1 were to be ready
for OLF, then we can also provide CDs to hand out.

Also, if Jerry brings the projector, we have a very nice (7 foot wide)
projector screen that you could use to display an image of Haiku
running live on: this is a great eye-catcher.

Finally, to help have all the OLF information in one place, I added
the following conference page to the Haiku website with the
information that I gathered so far as I understood it; if there is
anything that you would like to see changed or if someone wants to be
added to the team member list, please let me know. Here is the page:

http://www.haiku-os.org/conference/2008/ohio_linuxfest_2008

I put myself as the contact point, but it would be nice if any of the
actual team members that will be there could become the first point of
contact.

I also enabled the comments feature of the entry, in case you want to
use it for feedback or to communicate with each other.

Hope this helps.

Jorge