[openbeos] Re: Haiku - FreeDesktop.org cooperation proposal

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:45:55 +0200 CEST

> François Revol wrote:
> >> Hi François,
> >>
> >> I have a fundamental question: did you have a discussion and/or
> >> reached
> >> a consensus with the Haiku team regarding this topic before you
> > > sent
> >> the
> >> email on their behalf to FreeDesktop.org?
> >>

> > I sent this mail long ago to the Haiku, Inc board members, that is
> > you,
> > axel and bruno, and though you said you didn't have time to read, I
> > only had bruno replying to say it was a good idea.
> >

> Aha! That explains why I was sure that I had seen this before, but
> could
> not remember where. I am getting senile... :P Anyway, I don't
> remember
> the circumstances, but this is not something that I would be able to
> provide any meaningful input into; so even if I have had the time, I
> may
> not have been able to say anything intelligent.
>
> Personal excuses aside, Haiku Inc. is not where the decisions on
> things
> related to development are made. It is the development team that
> makes
> all development-related decisions, and if I understand correctly, the
> place to discuss with or get input from the development team is the
> [haiku-development] list, so that's probably the best place to
> present
> these proposals for input.
>
> > We also had a similar topic on this ml more than a year ago and it
> > didn't bring much cons...
> > //www.freelists.org/archives/openbeos/01-2007/msg00348.html
> >
> > It doesn't enroll us for anything anyway it's just formal
> > presentation
> > of what could be done.
> >

> I realize that it does not enroll us for anything, but it does make a
> few "bold" statements regarding potential adherence to standards (by
> the
> project) and possible involvement by the Haiku devs. So I was
> wondering
> if you had discussed these with the developers themselves, and by
> that I
> specifically mean the development team beyond just Axel and BGA.

As I said I brought the subject once and it didn't really bring
anything beyond the fact we should only pick what makes sense, which I
stated clearly in the mail I think.

Also, there are some things we really should use, for example this
VAAPI think is about accellerating video decoding. We certainly not
want to reinvent a wheel noone will use there. Either ffmpeg will use
it someday and we can use it indirectly, or we can also write a media
node using it.

And I used conditional when expressing what can be done, so again there
is no commitment to do anything yet. Besides, freedesktop.org is also
mostly about talking (on xdg mailing list) to make specs. So I invite
others to join the list to give their views.

François.