[openbeos] Re: Getting debug output without a serial port

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 22:14:29 +0200 CEST

> > For IR ports... IrDA is a full protocol stack (the network socket
> > way),
> > so it's a no go, but maybe there is a simpler protocol you can use
> > on
> > top of it, dunno...
> >

> That's a good, point!  I've been writing an IrDA SIR device (uses
> only
> the PHY layer) at work.   I might take a look at what the laptops do
> for IrDA.  If I point a proper IrDA device at my SIR devices, they
> spew binary data, with some sporadic ASCII (eg computer name), and
> other stuff at 9600 8N1.

Yes that's discovery info sent by the protocol I guess.

> > Like this one:
> > http://www.hardwarebook.info/LapLink/InterLink_Parallel
> >

> Parallel is disapearing too!

Indeed. Still it's handy when you still have it.

> Yeah I had a look at that too.   I figured it must be possible to
> have
> a mini-EHCI driver that did nothing but support the EHCI-debug
> feature.  Couldn't find much in reference to it on the the net
> though.

IIRC one of the BSD does support it. Can't remember which.
I think it doesn't really need a driver per see, only need to activate
the feature and send the data from the kernel. The controller hardware
automatically allocates a specific endpoint for it.

Btw, base64 isn't really handy to read :P
For those who use BeMail, you can just open the file with your favorite
text editor and paste this in:
Works then magically =)
/me wonders when google will fix it...

François.