[openbeos] Re: Driver Tutorial

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:08:49 +0200

Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But I do think that waiting for things to stabilize is probably the most
> efficient way to do. Guys like Chris who want to do things now can get
> personalized advice via lists like bedrivertalk :-)

Niels, this is a bit uninformed. The new driver API is already in place
(the last change to it was quite some time ago, maybe a year even). As far
as I can tell, Marcus just used it a couple of days ago for his SATA driver.

But the point is that Haiku has a compatibility layer for R5 drivers. If
you have an R5 driver, it will (at least should) work fine on Haiku (except
for some differences when mapping memory with certain flags, Haiku is more
strict here). This is all available right now, I'm not talking about
something that "will be" available, or is "planned".

So, Chris, anything written about R5 drivers is still vaild, you can dig
right in, no need to wait for anything. :-)

Niels, maybe you confused this with the new Disk Device API? That's the one
that still needs some work. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan