[openbeos] Re: Driver Tutorial

  • From: "Niels Reedijk" <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 01:59:22 +0200

2006/9/16, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:

Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > But I do think that waiting for things to stabilize is probably the most > efficient way to do. Guys like Chris who want to do things now can get > personalized advice via lists like bedrivertalk :-)

Niels, this is a bit uninformed. The new driver API is already in place
(the last change to it was quite some time ago, maybe a year even). As far
as I can tell, Marcus just used it a couple of days ago for his SATA driver.

I reread my mail and I see that in the context of this thread it's quite ambiguous. I was referring to writing documentation, not to coding drivers itself. I meant that writing extensive documentation for the R5 driver API is probably a waste of energy, since the new API is going to obsolete it (keeping the R5 compat layer), and in that respect writing docs on the new API is useless since Haiku isn't that good and stable to test your drivers on. Thus my final remark "But I do think that waiting for things to stabilize is probably the most efficient way to do" refers to writing API documentation and not to writing drivers itself.

I didn't mean to discourage anyone!

Good luck, Chris (and others) and feel free to ask.

Niels