[haiku] Re: Documenting your package

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 11:01:00 +0200

Am .04.2016, 10:51 Uhr, schrieb Luposian <luposian@xxxxxxx>:

Can't we just translate all documentation to a standard format, like plain ASCII or HTML or PDF or a cross-platform format that anyone can read without terminal commands or such? Why continue to do things in such an archaic CLI fashion, in 2016, concerning, of all things, documentation?

man pages pretty much are just plain ASCII. HTML, and especially PDF, are much more difficult to do.

FWIW, in the Python world we use Sphinx [http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/stable/] to handle documentation generation. Docs themselves are written in ReST or Markdown, which are easy enough to use with sufficient practice, and Sphinx handles the generation of the desired output format. This has been shown to reduce the hurdle for writing docs somewhat but the biggest problem remains that developers generally don't like writing docs.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Kronenstr. 27a