[openbeos] Re: Did Be, Inc OpenSource "BeOS" and its Logo by mistake??

  • From: "grayshade" <grayshade@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 00:32:27 +0200

> Hi all,
>
> I was just thinking about OpenBeOS, and its new name... and I was
> wondering what a new logo would look like if it was sat in the Deskbar,
> then I though - "Wait - we don't have to change that, Be, Inc
> OpenSourced it as part of OpenTracker and OpenDeskbar!"... this then
> got me thinking :
>
> What are the legalities on the OpenBeOS group taking the GPL'ing of
> OpenTracker, and the inclusion of the word "BeOS" and the BeOS blue and
> red logo as meaning that as long as we obey the OpenTracker license
> that they are covered under, we can use it for ourselves - meaning that
> we don't even have to call the final OS OpenBeOS, we can call it BeOS,
> and we can even keep the logo!

AFAIK, the GPL nor any other free software license covers names. it's
trademark stuff... try to imagine what would happen if everybody could spit
out an OS and call it BeOS. no, no, I really think there are copyrights (on
the logo) and the name itself is a trademark.

domenico

p.s.: where should I look for BeOS advocacy guys (a-la
comp.os.linux.advocacy, comp.lang.perl.advocacy and such)? beunited.org?