[openbeos] Did Be, Inc OpenSource "BeOS" and its Logo by mistake??

  • From: "Andrew Edward McCall" <mccall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:50:01 BST (+0100)

Hi all,

I was just thinking about OpenBeOS, and its new name... and I was
wondering what a new logo would look like if it was sat in the Deskbar,
then I though - "Wait - we don't have to change that, Be, Inc
OpenSourced it as part of OpenTracker and OpenDeskbar!"... this then
got me thinking :

What are the legalities on the OpenBeOS group taking the GPL'ing of
OpenTracker, and the inclusion of the word "BeOS" and the BeOS blue and
red logo as meaning that as long as we obey the OpenTracker license
that they are covered under, we can use it for ourselves - meaning that
we don't even have to call the final OS OpenBeOS, we can call it BeOS,
and we can even keep the logo!

Just a thought, I know that Palm has lots of money... but hey, Michael
Phipps is the project lead :)

Thanks

Andrew Edward McCall