[haiku] Re: Desktop folder disappears from /boot/home

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:04:25 +0200

On 2009-06-22 at 10:49:37 [+0200], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I'd say it depends :-)
> For one, I wouldn't like to open the Desktop folder and see the icons
> exactly like I see them on the actual desktop; either the icon view
> should be forbidden in this case, or Tracker should use two different
> mechanisms to store the icon positions - at the very least for the window
> settings, and icon size/list view mode.
> In spatial mode, the Desktop is the root of the directory, so you cannot
> navigate up, anyway, or you would need to present different hierarchies
> to the user which I think is a bad idea. Finally, we could make it an
> option that is always the same as the "single window browsing mode" - you
> will see the Desktop in that mode, but not in spatial mode. But, you
> could manually alter TrackerSettings to force Tracker to do that. But
> since we already break spatial mode with allowing the same folder to be
> opened on two different workspaces, maybe that's superfluous, and it
> should always be allowed (it's your choice then, anyway). Or make an
> option for that, and have the Desktop thing depend on it, too.
> I would be all for this change, then.

IMHO that the same folder can be open in more than one workspace is
actually a very good thing. For example, I have the "Haiku" source root
folder open in more than one workspace and have different other folders
open in either workspace depending on what I work on.

I am in favor of making it possible to open the Desktop folder in both the
spatial and single window browsing mode, maybe with different behaviour
depending on the mode.

I don't like the single window browsing mode at all, and would favor
changes be done in a way that they don't break either mode and keep them as
separate as is necessary.

In any case, I would love to have a decent explanaition on why anyone would
want to use single window browsing. I mean, I do understand it's useful for
actual "browsing". Only that browsing using the context menus in Haiku is
so much more powerful and so much quicker than anything else. So when
actual "browsing" is out of the picture, I don't understand why anyone
would /not/ use the spatial mode.

Best regards,
-Stephan