[haiku] Re: Cross-building buildtools and Haiku from BSD: some questions getting started

  • From: "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6723@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 07:57:31 +0000

On cross-compiling, my main experience has been building NetBSD from FreeBSD.

I have experience building extra packages from source in Linux using configure,
make and make install.  That was in Slackware 13.0, and Slackware package
management is binary-only with no knowledge of dependencies.

There were options for specifying which GCC, CC build system to use so one
could use, for instance,
/usr/local/bin/gcc47 .

Advice in (quasi-)Unix is to do as much as possible as nonroot, so I'd like to
build Haiku, if possible, as nonroot, going to root to install to hard-drive
partition or USB stick.

I could possibly install Haiku's jam with executable as $HOME/bin/jam and put
$HOME/bin at the front of the PATH.

Then I use jam instead of (g)make?

I usually use shell tcsh in FreeBSD and ksh in NetBSD; should I use bash for
building Haiku?

bash is not part of NetBSD or FreeBSD base system but is likely to come in as a
dependency when one builds a lot of ports/packages.

There is a configure option, --use-clang.  I believe clang would be used to
build the tools, but then the tools would be used to build Haiku.

I have Haiku stuff in haiku/haiku and haiku/buildtools relative to nonroot home
directory.

Do you say I should mkdir haiku/haiku/generated.clang, cd to that directory and
then run ../../configure --options?

I do want to leave the source files intact in case I need to use again from a
clean restart.

Tom