[haiku] Re: Core libraries / package management

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 20:01:19 -0500

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Nickos V <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The best way to avoid library errors (from non-developers) is:
> 1) when running configure & make tests put the outputs into text files for
> others to view
> 2) tell others about the updated library to let them test it out first
> before swapping it in (QA team) & to check configure/tests outputs
> 3) wait 2 weeks to let people check the library out first & to say if they
> notice any issues
>
> The above is called being proactive but many people seem to be reactive.
> They make the mistake first and hopefully correct it afterwards.

All good points (including what I snipped out.) One thing I might add
is that having some automated testing, at least basic sanity checks
(does this app at least run) would also help a lot. People make
mistakes more often than computers.

Since this has been a pet peeve of mine for a while (and in my "paid"
work doing Ruby on Rails development I'm very sold on Behavior Driven
Development) I'll start working on some solutions for these problems
in Haiku. Another side benefit of making testing tools which script
apps for testing is then it will be easy to make a macro or automation
tool like Mac OS X Automator. Luckily a lot of infrastructure is
already there with the existing BeOS style scripting.

--
Regards,
Ryan