[haiku] Re: Core libraries / package management

  • From: "Brecht Machiels" <brecht@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 10:41:24 +0100

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 06:46:31 +0100, Zenja Solaja <solaja@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Over on the development mailing list there is talk about the damages caused by an update of libcurl, and how a point release broke so many apps. This is the sort of thing we used to mock Linux with - the never ending dependancy "whack-a-mole" game. During the great package management debate
of 2011, so many users (not developers) were very vocally against package
management, for the very same reason libcurl demonstrated.  The only time
package management works is when the packages are strictly controlled by the core developers.

If the package metadata (dependency info) can be separately updated by the community, as proposed (and still planned, I hope), these kinds of problems will be detected and resolved very quickly (for example, resulting in reverting to the previous libcurl), even without action needed by any developers. I believe this is a fundamental advantage over Linux package managers that can make it work well.

--
Brecht