[haiku] Re: Cleaning out unneeded state?

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 10:09:51 +0100

On 02/01/2015 06:54 AM, Chris Hanson wrote:
On Jan 30, 2015, at 11:22 PM, Humdinger <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
I have to admit that I haven't had to roll back yet, but I image
that I wouldn't roll back farther than to one of the last few
states. Therefore, I'd be comfortable to manually delete all
state-folders but the last few newest ones every few months (if I
need space).

Excellent, I haven’t had to roll back either (I’m just using VMware
and take a snapshot before I update) but the state folders didn’t all
have exactly the same set of packages so I was initially wary.

Each state directory contains only the packages that were replaced/removed in the respective package management operation, i.e. all the information needed to get from one state to the next older one, which allows Haiku to boot into any old state as long as there aren't any in between states missing.

Anyway, there really needs to be a preflet to configure how the system should handle old states, as generally the adminstrative directory should be off limits for regular users.

CU, Ingo