[haiku] Can I manually extend BFS partition?

  • From: Kevin Ar18 <kevinar18@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:42:08 -0500

Ok, I know you are not normally supposed to do this, but I'm in a rather odd
situation.  My hard drive went bad and it would be so much easier if I could
move files now before I get the new hard drive.

Problem:  The only working "drive" I have is Haiku on a USB stick and 2nd FAT32
formatted USB stick.
Problem2: The Haiku partition was the default 600MB Haiku image; however, the
USB stick has 4GB of space... meaning over 3GB of space is "lost"
Problem3: I have 500-600MB of data on the second FAT32 stick that I need to
save somewhere: this means I cannot turn the other drive into another bootable
Haiku or BSD without losing said data.

So...  is it possible to manually the partition tables of either drive?
On the Haiku 600mb image so that it will show more space (the USB stick has 4GB)
On the FAT32 stick so the partition uses less space (assuming all my data is in
the early part of the partition).

I did not find any partition information on the BFS format, so...

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a 3rd option that can be done just with the
two USB sticks?  I need to preserve a total of 600MB of data on each stick.  Is
there any way to turn the FAT32 drive into something bootable?  Boot into a BSD
installer or something?

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/