[openbeos] Re: Booting using an USB pen-drive (almost...).

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 01:59:10 -0400

I've tried this using a 2.5" IDE disk via USB on a Dell C521 Desktop, and
got the same error mentioned

here: http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1295#comment:10

even after the revision where it's mentioned to be fixed...I even tried
booting the USB drive in a VM in VMWare

and get the same error.

Karl

On 7/17/07, Yannick Barbel <yannick.barbel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hi there,

Hi recently started toying with Haiku. I successfully downloaded the
source and built it.

As I am a bit short of space on my 2 PCs HD, I wouldn't like to create a
dedicated Haiku partition, but rather use BIOS IDE disk emulation to boot
from a 256mb usb drive.

Soo using dd, I placed the image on my USB drive and tried to boot both
machine with them, and I have about the same result with both :

One the Desktop, I see the logo appearing, but then the computer
completely freezes.

On the Laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400, Centrino Duo 2.16GHz, 2Go Ram), I also
see the logo, then it goes to kdl.

So here are my questions :

1. - Has anybody tried before to boot from USB using the BIOS drive
emulation with any success? If yes how? (couldn't find any information on
it).

2. - Is this caused by an unimpletmented feature or is it a bug?

I have no possibility to collect the kernel dump (modern computers, no
serial port), but in case of a bug, I'll try to find what is wrong and copy
it by hand so I can pass the information.

Thanks,

Yannick