[openbeos] Booting using an USB pen-drive (almost...).

  • From: Yannick Barbel <yannick.barbel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:49:22 +0200

Title: Flashmail

Hi there,

Hi recently started toying with Haiku. I successfully downloaded the source and built it.

As I am a bit short of space on my 2 PCs HD, I wouldn't like to create a dedicated Haiku partition, but rather use BIOS IDE disk emulation to boot from a 256mb usb drive.

Soo using dd, I placed the image on my USB drive and tried to boot both machine with them, and I have about the same result with both :

One the Desktop, I see the logo appearing, but then the computer completely freezes.

On the Laptop (Dell Inspiron 9400, Centrino Duo 2.16GHz, 2Go Ram), I also see the logo, then it goes to kdl.

So here are my questions :

1. - Has anybody tried before to boot from USB using the BIOS drive emulation with any success? If yes how? (couldn't find any information on it).

2. - Is this caused by an unimpletmented feature or is it a bug?

I have no possibility to collect the kernel dump (modern computers, no serial port), but in case of a bug, I'll try to find what is wrong and copy it by hand so I can pass the information.

Thanks,

Yannick