[openbeos] Re: Binary compatibility with Linux, and Be OS

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 02:50:27 +0100 CET

"Solaja, Zenja" <solaja@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> BeOS on the other hand, has an opposite layout to Windows and Linux.
> From
> some ancient mailing list I remember reading that the decision was by
> design
> (sometime when BeOS switched from PEF to ELF), to prevent clueless
> users
> accidently launching a app designed for another system.  This was the
> biggest problem for the BeWine team, since they had to figure out a
> way to
> swap the memory space.  I have no idea how this problem was
> addressed.
> Coincidently, another stumbling block was mmap(), but the new kernel
> should
> take care of that :-)

The new kernel also has the same address range partitioning as Linux
and Windows - we'll see how far we'll come with this (and if we have to
change it later on).
Since Wine and LxRun both need it I think we should try to keep this
layout, but if we need to change for keeping compatibility with BeOS,
we will (before reading this thread I wanted to change it just to keep
the number of possible problems at a low number :-)).

Adios...
   Axel.