[haiku] BeBox 133 for sale

  • From: Herb Randall <hrandall_99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 06:17:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I hope you'll forgive this blatant commercial posting, but if there's any group
in the world that might be legitimately interested, it's you. I've been a huge
fan of the BeOS since I first heard of them in 1996, and I bought one of the
then-new BeBox 133 MHz workstations. I've held on to it all these years, but
finally decided to part with it. I've listed it on Ebay and thought you might
like to see it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251326502205#shId

A bit of trivia that may interest you: In the course of getting this machine up
and running again, I found the original SCSI drive was dead. I rummaged around
in my computer parts graveyard and couldn't come up with a suitable
replacement, and I didn't want to spend a fortune buying a "refurbished" 2 GB
SCSI 1 50-pin drive. It turns out that there was a completely unused IDE port
on the motherboard - the CD-ROM is on the same SCSI bus as the hard drive. I
connected an old 9 GB IDE drive and sure enough the installer detected it,
formatted, and was able to boot from it. This was BeOS 5.0.3 - I didn't try it,
but it would be interesting to see if the earlier developer OS releases would
be able to address the drive as well.

Cheers,
Herb Randall