[openbeos] Re: BNetAddress update -- a question.

  • From: Scott Mansfield <thephantom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 08:30:07 -0700

Scott Mansfield wrote:

It's absolutely not a burden -- "I live to serve" as you so sagely put it.

Michael Phipps imparted these words of wisdom:

Cool. Then get to it. ;-)

Yes Sir! :-)

---
Not sure if we can toss Nettle... NOW I remember why I chose to go with Nettle in the first place. For the classes in the network kit that use nettle, they have an inlined method called "GetImpl()" that returns a pointer to the class' member data, which happens to be a Nettle object (NetAddress == NLAddress, NetBuffer == NLPacket, NetEndpoint == NLEndpoint). How would you propose this be handled? Seems to me that the only way to be binary compatible is to use Nettle. Although, I suppose I could code up some Nettle-like construct (NLXXX-like classes but just the data), and return these from the GetImpl() method but that also would more than likely violate the prime directive (R5 binary compatible).

CC-ing the OBOS list to get any other's ideas besides just yours. :-)

Cheers,
Scott