[openbeos] Re: BNetAddress update -- a question.

  • From: Scott Mansfield <thephantom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 16:06:37 -0700

All-

On Sunday, Sep 22, 2002, at 12:48 America/Los_Angeles, Philippe Houdoin wrote:

.I don't think we should support backward compatibility here.
Who ever call BNet*::GetImpl() methods of the BeOS Net Kit C++ classes
???

Nobody that I know of. :-)

Dropping Nettle-wrapping compatibility is not required, I guess.

If you have give a look (and I hope you did, as Network team leader ;-)
) at current
uncomplete but yet not totally empty that the GetImpl() methods, which
we *have* to
implement as they're public, just return NULL:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/open-beos/current/
headers/os/net/NetAddress.h?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-
markup

"No Nettle backward compatibility".

Yes, I see that now. Interesting, I keep my local copy up-to-date via CVS but I don't have the 'net' directory under headers--I'll toss my copy of the tree and re-check it out, that's probably how I missed it. Aargh!

Or did I miss something here?

And now that I look like a complete idiot, let's see how much deeper a hole I can dig for myself.

No, you did not miss anything. I think that between Michael, you, and myself we lost synchronization. I am the "code finisher" for the OBOS project, so the responsibility for notifying parties involved and synchronizing tasks falls squarely upon my shoulders. My typical workflow should be: get task from Michael, contact team lead and let them know what I'm doing, complete said task. Lather, rinse, and repeat as necessary.

A little history is probably in order: I had been taking direction from Michael with respects to programming tasks; my first task (back around July I think) was the four BNetXXX classes in the network kit. This was when David was team lead.

<time passes>

We discover that someone else is already writing these. Oops.

<more time passes>

We discover that whomever was working on the network kit lost interest, so I get to pick up and start writing the classes again.

This oversight in not contacting you is completely my doing. For that, I apologize.

Now, would you like me to finish off the aforementioned classes? :-)

Cheers,
Scott