[openbeos] Re: Athlon XP help

  • From: "Daniel Cachapa" <cachapa@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 09:10:08 +0100

>He he, I did better.  I got a AMD Athlon XP 1800 :)

And I did even better, I got the 2000+ :P

>Unfortunately, I too also had difficulties booting.  I tried using a patch
>program someone wrote.  I couldn't get it to patch my image file.  Someone
>eventually e-mailed me a patched boot floppy image.  I was able to boot with
>it and them directly modify the file that needed modified.  After I did that
>I was able to boot BeOS off my harddrive.

The boot image file is available with the mini-be iso. Some help files
tell you to record 2 cds, using one to boot the other, but the boot
image was a normal boot disk image, so I just used rawrite to copy it
onto a diskette and boot with it to the cdrw containing the mini-be
image (press space, chose boot media).
The boot process should now go ok, and you'll be at the mini-beos
desktop, now you just have to replace 2 files from your old beos
partition:
/boot/beos/system/kernel_intel.patch
/boot/beos/system/lib/libroot.so.patch

Beware of the shell script that's available out there, it won't replace
libroot.so.patch (it'll try to replace libroot.patch, without the so)
and will leave you with a unbootable system: it will hang right after
all the icons are loaded.

BTW, I got all this from this BeGroov
thread:
http://forums.begroovy.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2656&perpage=15&pa