[openbeos] Athlon XP help

  • From: Kobi Lurie <k_lurie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 17:58:36 +0200

Hi,
I bought a new computer recently.
i heard there was an athlon xp patch, so i didn't worry and got
a cheap AMD athlon xp 1700+
it came with a sis motherboard.

i can't boot beos, and my other computer is too old to use this hard drive.
i tried to burn a disc with the mini-be.iso.
this didn't work on my system, and after the boot icons loaded up, nothing happened.
next was trying to hexedit the image file from within windows.

i was trying to get to the kernel_intel position in the image file,
and change a certain GenuineIntel to AuthenticAMD.
- athlons pretend to be intels since they implement sse,
but when beos sends them commands other than sse, the kernel crashes.
(simplistic explanation but basically what happens)
so i replaced the string. didn't work.
a reboot happens or a halt.
no kdl msg, no nothing.
so, all my attempts got me nowhere.
openbeos is currently the most active mailing list for the be community,
i'd like to ask if anyone knows of another way, or can instruct me of a better patch.
Thanks in advanced, Kobi. (who would, hopefully, be able to compile things fast and help with the testing in no time :))