[openbeos] Re: Atheos Forked

  • From: Chuck PUP Payne <cepayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 15:54:10 -0500

Some wrote the AtheOS site is down, well it's not. Not that matters here is
the link.

http://www.atheos.cx/

I like to add this to this on going discussion are the things that I don't
like about BeOS. One the fact that  you couldn't network work to a server,
if there was a BeOS Server or if it came with like say samba or even
netatalk install so that you could share files  and made easy there it would
be great. Yes you could use Appletalk printers and it did come with FTP and
NFS, but it would be nice to have a network icon and the desktop and could
see what other computer are out there...hell if I were a programmer, I would
work on Be to be the go-between for Windows and Mac. That would be the
coolest to be able to turn on a Be Box and be able to talk and share files
with either OS'es. That to me would make Be a killer OS. Hell Mac OS X now
has built into their kernel where you can talk to a NT server and mount a
drive on your desktop with little effort. That more than I can say for Linux
or FreeBSD. I know that sheepsaver did that a little for the PPC version of
Be, it was nice to be able to run Mac programs inside Be, but it would have
been cooler if sheepshaver would have just let me mount my G4 so that I
could share files. I even see samba for Be but never got it to work. Maybe I
will make many mad by say this but if you can't make networking a part of OS
then that OS is sure to go to the side like the Do Do Bird. I should know, I
love Atari ST computers but where are they today? Gone! One of the first
things Mac did was make the early System able to share files among other
computers.

Maybe that is why the programmer at AtheOS are doing what they are doing,
taking the best of all OS and making a killer OS. So that they can take from
the linux world and with just a little tweaking change for AtheOS. As it
stands now Be has a great GUI that it really Multi-Media ready, I have
messed with most windows managers on Linux and nothing is as nice as Be. I
have head that KDE 3.0 might be Multi-Media. But until SuSE 8.0 comes out I
won't know.

I know I have stated this and some what told me to take my Be Prof., CD and
stick into my PPC and I would have R5, well no. I have G4 and G3 PPC. And
BeOS stop all work on the PPC with the G3 because of Apple, I am thinking
because maybe Be at that time is in some ways what Mac OS X is today. But I
like to take my G4 Sawtooth and run Be on it. I am thankful that I have
Compaq that I run 98, XP, SuSE 7.3 and BeOS 5.03. And I am happy I picked up
my PowerMac 5400 that lets me run BeOS 5 on, but because most of the time I
am in XP for work and the PowerMac is slow it would be nice to be able to
buy an old iMac 333 Strawberry or Blueberry and run some of the Be PPC
software that I have.

To be honest I wish palm would take Be and put into Palm OS 5, and make the
Palm the first true Multi-Media PDA. Be has all the media there, but hey I
am dreamer.

In the words of Dennis Miller, hey that just my opinions.

Can someone please  explain to me what is going on with BlueOS, I know it is
a BeOS clone that is said to be built on a linux kernel so won't that make
it like AtheOS? When can one download from them?

Sorry if some parts are clear, I am LD and have problems making the point I
want.

Chuck Payne
Magi Design and Support