[haiku] Re: Accelerated versus double buffered.

  • From: Vincent Duvert <vincent.duvert@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 15:42:16 +0100

Le 4 mars 09 à 19:59, Stephan Aßmus a écrit :

Anyways, please tell me your findings, if you get the chance to test this on slower computers with accelerated native graphics. Thanks a lot!

I'm using Haiku on an old laptop with a 1.6Ghz Pentium IV and an nVidia Geforce2 Go video card. The bundled nvidia driver doesn't work on this hardware (http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/2641), so I use an unofficial one (http://web.inter.nl.net/users/be-hold/BeOS/NVdriver/index.html ).

Without the patch, dragging a group of icons in the Tracker or boxes in Cortex is very slow, the screen is refreshed at less than 2 FPS (and CPU activity goes to 100%). Disabling hardware acceleration really improves performance for these tasks. The only downside I've seen is an increase of CPU load when moving windows (around 90% versus 20% with HW accel) but it stays very fluid.

Vincent