[haiku-web] Re: Trick to annotate the BeBook

  • From: Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:21:39 +0100

2009/11/13 Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Would it be legally ok to add comment support to the legacy bebook (the
>> Access one) via a html frame trick?
>> That is, putting the unmodified bebook in a frame, and the corresponding
>> comments / erratas / addendum in another frame.
>> Twisted but why not?
>
> I don't even think it is that twisted, plus I'm not even sure if
> Access would care about us adding comments or addendum in general. I
> just think they don't want us taking the old BeBook and using that for
> a HaikuBook.
>
> I think this is a good idea and another approach would be JavaScript
> code that appends comments to the page. Sort of a BeBook + commenting
> mash-up.

I think it goes against the spirit of the licence it is distributed under.

It says:

You may not alter, transform, or build upon this work.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

Annotating web pages is altering, transforming and building upon the
work. Let's not get into the discussion about embedding, as it goes
beyond the spirit of the Creative Commons. Best contact Access whether
they would object to doing this.