[haiku-web] Re: Drupal 5 Progress

  • From: "Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 12:23:37 -0700

2008/6/8 Jorge G. Mare <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Howdy,
>
> Niels Reedijk wrote:
>>
>>  Hi gang,
>>
>> While I was prying into the Drupal internals to find out whether we
>> could send mails through the Google server, I had the unfortunate
>> discovery of the fact that secure SMTP access is available from Drupal
>> 5 onwards.
>>

> IMO, there is no need to rush the Drupal 5 upgrade just because the current
> SMTP module does not support Gmail. You can just use a different server for
> email notifications (haiku-files.org, for example) until the upgrade is
> done.

The only problem I see with that is that some mail servers check the
MX record for a domain to ensure the SMTP server the mail was received
from is valid.

This could maybe be circumvented/alleviated by keeping whatever smtp
server we choose in the list of MX's and setting it's metric really
high - that would allow gmail to continue to be the default receiver
of email, while also allowing the sending server to be one of the
"valid" MX hosts.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about all that :)