[haiku-inc] Re: Fresh funding sources

  • From: Richie Nyhus-Smith <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 03:47:07 +1300

> Good morning!

morning.

> Have we thought about seeing up a Pateron account for donations towards
Haiku?

> Moving to Pateron would make a some the financial upkeep easier as it will
> show how much Haiku makes per month.

I have mostly kept out of the latest funding discussion from Karl and
adrian due me disagreeing with both sides.

Fresh funding sources definitely needs to be found, but it is important to
keep in mind that people are less likely to give money if they think their
money will not have a direct 'cause and aftect'.

That means that less people will give much less money to a 'call to action'
that simply asks "donate to Haiku", compared with a more targeted 'call to
action' which asks you to "donate to Haiku so it can contract a devoper to
release beta1".

The more targeted the 'call to action' is, the more people will give. It is
pretty much marketing and political communication 101.

That's what I like about Patreon, Causes and firstgiving. However you do
have to be careful about the fees taking anywhere from 5% to 15%.

Causes.com would allow Haiku Inc to set up a number of donation drives (and
if desired petitions for software or hardware support). If Haiku Inc was to
be on stripe payment's nonprofit programme, then there would only be a 2.5%
credit card fee. ( https://www.causes.com/back-a-ranger)

There is also the organisation first giving which looks intresting, but I
have only just found it. ( http://www.firstgiving.com/rileykids)

Cheers,
Richard.