[haiku-inc] Re: Fresh funding sources

  • From: "Adrien Destugues" <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-inc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 14:55:21 +0000

The "snowdrift coop" project is a crowdfunding platform dedicated to
open/free/libre projects. They are still in alpha stage (without actual money
in the system yet, you can only make virtual donations). I'm mentionning this
because they spent a lot of time reviewing the existing options and comparing
them, not only in terms of the fees, but also in term of workflow and cashflow.
It is a long but interesting read:

https://snowdrift.coop/p/snowdrift/w/en/othercrowdfunding

I think the donation activity over the past year shows that our donation
channels are working quite well. What we need is not more options and
flexibility, what we need is more communication from Haiku, inc. about the
decisions taken, the rationale, and financial reports. The automated donation
meter is a good start, but there should also be information about how the money
was spent, and currently, this is completely missing from the website. You
can't expect people to donate to a "black hole" org like this.

What they say about Patreon, for example:

Site    Fee     Projects        Schedule        Perks
Patreon 5%      arts and media  per-release or monthly  required

"
Patreon: Combines subscription with elements of bounty and tipping systems by
making payment contingent on release of content. However, they also offer a
simple per-month option and an optional per-project maximum monthly cap for
per-release projects. The per-release approach naturally creates issues with
defining a qualifying release and emphasizes quantity over quality. Although
the required perks encourage proprietary restrictions, the perks may include
simple acknowledgement or non-rivalrous perks like time with the project team.
"

So, 5% of the money goes to them, and we only get the rest when we do a
"release" (not necessarily of the whole OS). The latter is possibly conflicting
with the way Haiku, inc. is currently designed (to not interfere with
development and only provide the funds). Also, perks are required (even if
there are things that don't cost much money, it involves some organization
work).

I'm going to ask this as I often do: which problem are we trying to solve with
this?

--
Adrien.