[haiku-i18n] Re: Improving while localizing strings

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 08:59:45 +0100

Le 04/01/2011 23:28, Travis D. Reed a écrit :

    One correction that should be made is in Icon-O-Matic, there's a crash
    dialog box that has a button that just says "Bummer".  Might have
    sounded funny in English, but could be a pain to translate.  This
    should just be changed to "Ok".

I immediately thought of that too! :) It reflects the zany attitude of BeOS (cf. "Dig Deal"). I'm not sure how other people feel about these, but it's kind of fun to translate and to see occasionally. It seems that most translators have done fun things with these...others have just converted them to "Ok," etc.

I'm not sure how others feel, but I, for one, think losing these might sacrifice some of the spirit of BeOS...what do others think?

Simplest solution is to add a comment like 'this is button in an error alert' to help translators know what it does.
Maybe we should create an i18n page for english :)

--
Adrien.