[haiku-i18n] Re: Improving while localizing strings

  • From: "Humdinger" <humdingerb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:05:59 +0100

Travis D. Reed, on Mon, 3 Jan 2011 19:24:07 -0600:
> Unfortunately,  the best I've done in HTA is archiving the old
> translations.
> I hesitate, though, to do much improvement to HTA considering how
> close rq
> is with pootle. I've actually started translating there (a bad
> idea...I
> think I lost work).

Does anyone have an idea when we'll be able to switch to the new pootle
system?

Maybe it makes more sense to discuss possible needed changes of the
English strings now when doing localization or validating strings and
wait for the changes until we're on pootle. Maybe it will have a better
handling of changing strings and at least preserve the old translation
instead of setting it all back.
Being case-insentive would also be great, then at least these sort of
small corrections don't mess with the other languages.

> In correcting the English, are we including the ugly fragments of
> text that
> is just strung together? The developers have done really cool work
> with
> replaceAll etc. I noticed some of the recent gci work is naive to
> this
> problem.

I was mainly talking about higher level corrections. But we can at
least collect those cases where the translators run into
problems/inconveniences that would call for some real dev attention
instead of only rewriting a few strings.

Regards,
Humdinger

      Deutsche Haiku News  -  Haiku Gazette
        http://haiku-gazette.blogspot.com