[haiku-gsoc] Re: Harfbuzz and GCC2, dependencies

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 10:04:14 +0200

Hi,

sorry for replying to myself. As Deepanshu reminded me, Adrien already said something regarding compiling harfbuzz with GCC2 [1].

It just occurred to me that harfbuzz has a C calling interface. As such, it should be possible to use the same library binary, compiled with GCC5, for both Haiku x86 and x86_gcc2 architectures. If it cannot be done with a single binary, then there can be a copy in both architecture locations for all I care.

Is there anything wrong with this idea?

I am still wondering about the harfbuzz dependencies however, i.e. why they are on offer in the first place.

Best regards,
-Stephan

[1] https://www.freelists.org/post/haiku-gsoc/Compiling-HarfbuzzFreetype

Am 12.06.2017 um 13:02 schrieb Stephan Aßmus:

Hi all,

I've noticed that the harfbuzz package is not available for x86_gcc2. I looked into the Haikuports recipe and the patchset. This question is probably mostly for Korli: What are the prospects of getting harfbuzz compiled for GCC2? Have you looked into it much?

Also, why the dependency to graphite2? I got the impression that graphite2 provides an alternative shaper? And what about the glib support?

If we want text shaping support in app_server, we would need a GCC2 build, and since harfbuzz would become a build requirement for Haiku, my impression is it should be a minimal version tied in only with ICU and freetype which are already a requirement.

Opinions, ideas? :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan