[haiku-gsoc] Re: Fwd: Re: [HCD08] ICMP error handling & propagation project

  • From: "Yin Qiu" <allenchue@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-gsoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 18:53:28 +0800

Hi Axel,

I might fail to send my reply just now, so I'm doing this again. Sorry
if you receive two.

> Usually in a text editor when you press the tab key, the indentation is
> set to 8 spaces. Ie. visually, 8 spaces are the same than one tab.
> However, we don't use 8 spaces, we use 4. Every editor I know of can be
> configured to use a tab size (or width) of 4 instead of 8.
> It often isn't visible if you use 4 or 8 in a source file, but with
> some indentation (like the "if" line below) and alignments (like the
> field type/name above) you notice that you're using the wrong tab
> width.
> For example, if you use "pe", the setting can be found in "Preferences/
> Editor" as "Spaces for Tab" (as well as in "File Options". With vim,
> you would set it via "set ts=4", with Kate it's under "Settings/
> Configure Kate/Editing/Tabulators" and there "Tab width".

I just wondered how you figured out I was using tabs of size 8 while
\t's are invisible in source files. Now I understand what you meant
and have set ts=4 in my vim.

> But it's a union, and if you use the "gateway" argument, it should be
> in_addr_t, not uint32. If you need a separate uint32 value that has
> nothing to do with a gateway (you already have for example the id+
> sequence fields separately), you should add another field to this union
> that fits your usage. If you use "gateway" as generic uint32 container,
> then this is misleading.

You're right. I'll remove this confusion.

> And another problem you seem to have introduced with this patch:
>> +                     if (!domain->address_module->equal_addresses(
>> +                             buffer->interface->address,
>> buffer->destination))
>
> The second line should be indented two tabs more (not just one), as it
> doesn't continue the "if" but the "equal_addresses" part.

I'll correct this though it was not my original.

Since this is a minor change, I won't bother sending the patch again.

--
Yin Qiu
Nanjing University, China