[haiku-doc] Re: Some direction

  • From: Tim Howe <timh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:47:51 -0700

On Mon, 5 Oct 2009 20:44:42 +0200
Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sample 1 is definitely not according to conventions used in API
> documentation (see GNOME/GLIB, Qt). So I would argue against using
> that (due to the duplication of 'This is').

        I am actually fairly familiar with the Qt4 documentation and looked
through it a bit more when thinking about this.  I have to agree this goes
against convention that I am familiar with.

> About the removal of capitals in these short descriptions: this
> seemingly makes sense in the overview (the table that lists all
> methods), however, these lines are reused in the detailed
> descriptions, where it is definitely not aesthetically pleasing to not
> have a capital letter. Now it would be entirely possible to not print
> the 'brief's in the detailed view, but this would mean that the brief
> always has to be reworded. Furthermore, the brief is brief for a
> reason, it happened to me more than once that I was browsing through a
> document (instead of merely clicking through from the main table) and
> the brief gives a concise description of the method so I know whether
> I could us it.

        I see your point, and I think I agree.  I was actually more worried
about creating confusion be removing punctuation, but I will leave these alone
where clarity is not obviously improved by changing them.  My other concern is
that I am not sure what form is the best for the translators, but perhaps that
understanding will come when more of that is under way...

> I am interested in your grammatical and stylistic changes to the rest
> of the document, so if you could send a patch for those I want to
> review and commit those.

        I think I have an intermediate version of the file that just contains
those changes.  I will go through it again this evening and get it to the list.

> >        Hopefully it doesn't seem like I am making a lot out of
> > nothing.  I think if we establish the excepted style up front we'll be
> > better off later.  I'm wanting to move forward with some confidence.
>
> I would rather hope you would try to keep the original guidelines and
> try to write new documentation, which is greatly needed. I can imagine
> the pleasures of setting guidelines and trying to define things before
> hand, but please realize that the existing guidelines are mainly a
> product of all the experimentation I did earlier. During the course of
> writing the documentation you will most probably gain some
> appreciation for the guidelines, as well as getting a firm
> understanding of the issues and then you can make a good argument in
> changing or updating the guidelines.

        This is, of course, a goal of mine.  I actually started looking into
this with the expectation of writing docs for the layout classes; I was playing
around with them and didn't see formal API docs.  I will probably get to doing
that before long, but I really think I am benefiting by looking through
existing docs first (and from getting feedback), especially since I am new to
this kind of writing and to Doxygen.  I figured as long as I was going to go
through them anyway, I may as well try to make my time useful to others =)

> I am much looking forward to seeing some of your work, I think my
> interest in the API documentation is renewed and I will start to do
> some work as well.

        That's good news; I'm sure seeing your changes will be enlightening.

--TimH