[haiku-doc] Re: Some direction

  • From: Tim Howe <timh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-doc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 12:43:51 -0700

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:48:04 -0700
Tim Howe <timh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       Hmm.  I suppose I could do two diffs with the two forms as an example.
> My preference has already been stated, but I would not want to proceed without
> feedback.  I'll do as you suggest.  I'll try to have them ready within the
> next
> 48 hours.

        As promised (though a little later than I intended) these are
two versions of changes made to USB3.dox.  I'm attaching both diffs and
edited dox files for your convenience.

        Sample 1 is an attempt to "force" full sentences.  I'm not
crazy about trying to do this because I think in many cases these were
just intended to be definitions.  Editing the contents too much,
especially with the technical details, may alter the author's intended
meaning.  Also, it seems tedious to read to me.  I think in the case
where a simple statement of definition was intended, the only changes
to be made should be to remove the capitalization and period so that it
doesn't "pretend" to be a full sentence.  I do a lot of that in Sample
2, however I do make changes to full sentences when it seems to make
aesthetic sense and the meaning seems unambiguous.

        Hopefully it doesn't seem like I am making a lot out of
nothing.  I think if we establish the excepted style up front we'll be
better off later.  I'm wanting to move forward with some confidence.

        I also still haven't gotten a response to my last note about
the USB3.dox diff...

--TimH